Ani's Home

We lost our daughter Ani to Lupus a few days after her 12th birthday. The virtual world of the Internet helps to keep her moments alive and share them with others. The first posting was on August 2005 To read all past postings from 2005 onward, please go to https://toani.blogspot.com/ and you will see all the previous entries listed. Click on the one you wish to read.

Friday, July 11, 2008

To Leave Is To Die A Little

It is your birthday and you are not there. I did not bring flowers. See, flowers are for older women; flowers are for forgotten graves. I brought a song, my love. A song I wanted to teach you when I first held you tight. A song I wanted you to hear when your first tooth fell. A song I hoped you would sing with your first kiss, behind the classroom door.
I brought you that song this humid July day, when you were born and when you died, 12 years later. A song I sang when I held you tight, for the last time, before the teary-eyed nurse drew the curtains around your bed.
Say, did you hear me sing it again? Yes, my throat was cloudy; yes, my eyes were wet. But it was your birthday, and I was there.

July 11, 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home