Ani's Home

We lost our daughter Ani to Lupus a few days after her 12th birthday. The virtual world of the Internet helps to keep her moments alive and share them with others. The first posting was on August 2005 To read all past postings from 2005 onward, please go to https://toani.blogspot.com/ and you will see all the previous entries listed. Click on the one you wish to read.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Ani's Pegasus

Ani was 7 years old when during an art class at a summer camp she let her art take shape through clay. She was a gifted drawer but she had never attempted pottery. So, she took a class in the ceramic art of pottery making, but instead of making a pot she gave wings to the clay by shaping a Pegasus out of it!

She was not happy with her work, but I saw real talent in the shapes and angles. So, instead of just throwing away the day’s work at camp as most kids did, I kept the Pegasus.

That was 14 years ago. When Ani died in 2005, all her drawings, paintings, writings and other artwork became a legacy and were kept in a safe place. Including this Pegasus made of clay but never fire-baked to resist time.  Indeed, the clay has dried to become brittle and prone to breaking. I kept it away from the elements, but still pieces broke, just because they are expected. And I repaired them as well as I could.

During our last relocation, while I wrapped the small and brittle artwork in many layers of protective bubble-wrap, pieces broke again. And I repaired them again, this time unable to hide the break lines and crumbled parts. So, this morning I decided to take pictures of Ani’s work.

Here is “Ani’s Pegasus” in profile. It is about 6 inches tall. Yet, one can see the amazing gift of proportionality, body-posture, and expression a 7 year old girl was able to put together the first time she played with clay. Over the years I have looked at this Pegasus from all its angles and remain amazed by its curvatures, the expression of the head and face, and the feel it gives of a dialogue with the observer.



Here are details of its head:



And my favorite angle for a dialogue before it opens its wings and takes off. As Ani did.


… I am delighted I kept this humble work of art, even if it is crumbling with time. Every time I look at it, I see an artist who did not have a chance to share her talent, but in the short 12 years she was with us, she was my artist, my little girl with a lot of promises.

October 20, 2014

© Vahé A. Kazandjian, 2014

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home